World's Fastest Jensen
- Ship the car to the west coast of America, fly out, collect the car from the port.
- Drive through California up to Las Vegas.
- Carry on via the Grand Canyon into Utah, and then compete during the Speed Week event.
- After the event continue to drive down through Texas and the southern states to Florida.
- Proceed up the East coast to New York to ship the car home.
- Taking every opportunity along the way, to take in as many sights and to meet as many people as possible.
At time of writing the dates of Speed Week 2018 have not been announced though mid August would be usual.
NOTE. The speed week events of both 2014 and 2015 were cancelled at relatively short notice by the organisers to protect the salt. All efforts will be made by the team to find an alternative competition should the Bonneville event be cancelled.
We are firmly of the belief that all cars, regardless of age and design specification are designed to be driven first. Whilst a beautiful car in pristine, clean condition is a work of art in itself, seeing a car at speed, in its natural environment, as it were, is far closer to the design concept.
With the above in mind we are also taking the opportunity to promote engineering to young people by hopefully creating an unusual and interesting project. The concept of pushing a car to 155% of its design top speed always throws up some interesting engineering opportunities.
Finally as a team we all are of a mind that life is not a spectator sport and that if an opportunity presents itself it should be grasped with both hands. Furthermore as in this case the opportunity has been created following the untimely losses of a few dear friends in recent years.
1965 Jensen CV-8
The car had been in single family ownership until the current owner purchased it around 11 years ago. The car whilst road legal, was in a rather tired condition, having reached over 250,000 miles without any form of major restoration or anything other than remedial work. To compete at speed week the car has had some modifications to make it safe at the speeds we are hoping to achieve.The Jensen CV-8 has always and will always be fully road legal
- The original engine stroked to 8.2 litres.
- A turbocharger will be used not only to increase power but also to allow the engine to rev up to 7000 rpm.
- A 5 speed manual gearbox from a Jaguar XJ6.
- The rear axle has been replaced with a Ford unit to provide a better final drive ratio.
- The front suspension has been modified for better damping.
- The braking system has been improved for better braking.
- The battery and brake servos have been moved to the boot to avoid heat.
- Aerodynamic aids have been added to help keep the car down and straight.
- Full roll cage and fire extinguisher system.
Peter RileyGrease Monkey
Daniel RandallOiley Rag
If you would like to help in any way please feel free to contact us